September 18, 2018

Still WIP

I've been working on this the last couple days... I should have stopped after 3 hours, called it 'finished', and posted, but oh noooo, not me.  It's a watercolor, about 16x20, and I stuck it behind this old white mat to see if I liked it any better.   I didn't.  But after all my years of painting I think I need to come to terms with the fact that I'm not stopping when I should.. This was a composition of 2 different paintings that I did in the past.   
Possibly softening edges?   When you've never had any professional help and have been painting w/c for 32 years it's very difficult to even know WHAT is wrong.. 
You Just Do !  Any HELP ?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Barbra. Nice to see you are still painting and doing what you love! I on the other hand have let the blocks get to me. Sigh! Your portrait is quite lovely. The background too! I think the problem may the contrast between the two. You could introduce some shadow on the left shoulder, (her left) and also the hair. Have it become part of the background i might also add some darker tones to that side of the face and some more shade under the hat brim. Your girl is pretty light so there is a lot of room to work with. Have fun. Do not despair. Great to catch up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross, so good to see you again. I really appreciate your comments and your look into my painting.. Yes, I agree that shadows are very much one of my problems.. thank you so much.. and get a move on. !!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbra Joan. I like the composition very much! And the soft color palette. I would also say the only thing you might consider is softening the hard dark triangle on the bottom right: it's very strong. Maybe just loosen the dark paint with a little water and let it bleed into the hair and shoulder a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good suggestions, I agree! But, just have fun and don't be too hard on yourself too. It's a lovely painting. You do faces so well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. They are very much appreciated.