August 23, 2018

OIL PAINTING





 Doing some oil painting after being away from it for over 30 years.  Last time I painted in oil was 1984.  I remember it well because it was a defining year of my life as I knew it.

Four years later in 1987 I picked up a brush and started watercolor.  So now here I am doing both .. I'm doing a once a week oil painting class at the local Center here in Tallahassee so it can help me get back into it.. Enjoying it .

My goal was to paint in a more impressionistic style but it isn't going that way. In fact, as you can see it's gone the exact opposite.   But I intend to work at it so as follow in the style of the American painter, Frank W. Benson.  I admire his work, style , palette and subject matter. 
I'll be doing both watercolor and oil, and will post here when I can. Thanks for the visit.
Barbra Joan
 

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Barbra Joan!
    Love that painting of the hats! 1984? Wow! Good that you are in a class that you enjoy, but I bet it will be like riding a bike for you - you already have the eye, the heart and the know-how.
    And Frank Benson - his paintings just glow! I'm looking forward to hearing how much fun this is for you!
    Hope to read about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, thanks for your visit and your comments. Looking forward to blogging again.

      Delete
  2. I like it, Barbra Joan! Of course, I had to Google Frank W. Benson. I'd never seen his work before. I like both his watercolors and his oils. I'm so glad you're having fun in your class. I've been thinking about taking a class, but I'll probably wait until spring. I do better when the days start getting longer. In the winter, I think I could go to sleep at 5:00 in the afternoon:) I don't, but I bet I could:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming by Candy. Always good to see you here and visiting your blog.
    Yes, you should do a class. Very fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well BJ your oils are as lovely as your watercolors. Glad to see you are back posting. Been missing you. xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm ok, Debbie, thanks for coming by,
    hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  6. BJ, your oils are great. I have to google Frank W. Benson, not familiar with his work. But gotta say, your oils are truly outstanding. Would love to see more of your oils, you always inspire me. Thank you for sharing. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BJ, thank you for sharing Frank W. Benson, love his work. Just ordered two of his books .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. They are very much appreciated.